Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Today in History:
1790: The first U.S. census was completed, showing a population of just under 4 million people.
1960: Parkway Records released single #811: Chubby Checker’s "The Twist."
1779: Francis Scott Key, author of "The Star-Spangled Banner" and a devout Episcopalian who helped establish the American Sunday School Union, is born.

Midday Devotional:
Yes, interruptions can be annoying, but they can also mean you are greatly loved.
By Bob Perks

I had been complaining to a friend about my Sunday. My wife and I went upstairs to put the television on and watch some old movies. I was determined not to be interrupted. "I just won't answer the phone," I declared.
About 10 minutes into my "peace and quiet" the phone rang.
I knew it had to be my son, Keith.
He could sense a bit of frustration in my voice, and I toned it down. I didn't want him to feel like I really didn't want to speak with him.
Afterwards, I crawled back into bed. Our dogs, Ricky and Lucy, often join us for a quick nap. They normally sleep through anything, but today every little sound made them bark.
I had just settled down when the phone rang again.
It was my brother. He was trying out his new cell phone and wanted to give me the number. We talked and I felt bad for not wanting to answer the call. He makes me laugh. Today I needed to laugh.
Not more than 15 minutes later the phone rang again
I grabbed the phone and almost yelled "Hello!" I heard the sweet voice of my neighbor from across the street. This was highly unusual for her to call at this time. I thought there might be a problem. "Bob, this is Grace. I just had to call you," she said.
"Yeah, like everyone else today!" I thought to myself.
"I just finished my lunch and I was sitting here looking out my window. Every time I do I say, ‘You know you should call Bob and tell him.’”
"Tell me what?"
"I have been enjoying the beauty of your labor. Your flowers are wonderful, Bob. I sit here and enjoy my lunch just looking at those beautiful flowers you planted. Every time I do I say I should call and tell you.
I thought back on that Sunday. My son called twice just to tell me about his day and to end the call with "I love you." This November 11th he will celebrate 10 years cancer free. You would think I'd appreciate his call any time of day.
My dogs barked and moaned while I was trying to sleep. Every day of my life they give me unconditional love any time I want it and never get angry when I interrupt their sleep.
My brother called. It was just last week I was so very worried about him. Hearing his voice should be music to my ears.
My neighbor, who depends on me to watch over her, called to tell me she loved me and to thank me for the beautiful flowers she sees each day.
Seven interruptions in my day.
Seven blessings. I thank God that I don't have an uninterrupted life.
I'll think I'll give my friend a call. I know he doesn't want to be left alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment